Common Electrical Problems In Homes


Your safety should be paramount when it comes to household electricity. As such, you should always take care when it comes to common electrical problems because they could be signs of a bigger issue. There are of course signs of electrical problems which include high bills, flickering lights, damaged appliances, and charred electrical connections, sockets, and plugs.

Some electrical problems are considered harmless (meaning that they do not need immediate attention) whereas others are hazardous (these require immediate attention and must be looked at by a professional).

Harmless Common Electrical Problems

• Loose Sockets

A loose socket is a common problem in homes, especially in newly built homes. Solving this problem is fairly easy. To solve this problem, turn off the breaker and then unscrew the socket and then screw it back. (Does not Need electrical knowledge)

• Broken Light Switch

Light switches do break often. To solve this problem, turn off the circuit breaker and using a screwdriver, remove the faceplate to remove the switch. After exposing the wires, it is always wise to test them before working on them. After this replace the switch. (needs basic electrical knowledge)

• Damages Extension Cords

If you have a damaged extension cord, the simplest solution is replacing them. This technique does not need electrical knowledge.

Another way to solve this problem involves unplugging both ends, gently score and peeling back the insulation, twisting each wire, and screwing them back. If the wire is completely damaged, buy a new one and apply the steps. (needs basic electrical knowledge)

Hazardous Common Electrical Problems

• Dimming or Flickering Lights

Dimming or flickering lights is often associated with poor connection or wiring, which results in arcing. This causes sparks, overheat, and fire. (needs in-depth electrical knowledge)

• Frequent Light Bulb Burning Out

If your bulb is burning frequently and it is not from overuse, the problem can be serious. Loose connections in the circuit or socket are often the problem. There are times the insulation may be causing the problem which may result in overheating, which is known cause electrical fires. (needs in-depth electrical knowledge)

• Warm Switches Or Outlets

It is normal for dimming lights to warm. However, the others should not warm and if they do, the problem is serious. This is often caused by arcing or poor connections. The moment you identify this problem, call a professional immediately.

• Dead Outlets

This is a common problem and it is often as a result of poor or loose connection. The problem may also be the breaker, which simply it needs replacement.

• Frequently Tripping Breakers

There are many factors that can make a breaker to trip. However, if it is happening often, then your circuit may be overloaded. This means that a circuit must be added or upgrading your electrical service. (needs in-depth electrical knowledge or a professional)

Related Posts